Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Politics and the Church

This election left me reeling for quite a few reasons. I discovered that many, many people voted Republican because of their so called conservative views. I discovered that the people who did not vote Republican were in some cases chastised by Christians.
There is absolutely nothing in the bible that says that a Republican vs a Democrat is: getting into heaven faster; will have a better seat, vantage point or benefit, right or wrong.
This kind of divisive thinking keeps people from being open about their beliefs. If i only voted Republican because i am a Christian, that is not right. If i vote Republican because they line up with my view point, then that's a whole different story.
My opinion is politics do not belong in the church. Not that i think they should not be talked about, but i really would rather not know who my Pastor is voting for. I am ok, however, knowing who my pew neighbor voted for. They have that right. They have their opinion and are entitled to such. I don't care that they like John McCain or why. I do my own research and form my own opinion. I enjoy hearing peoples' views, but again, don't really care. I know that sounds like double talk, but hey that's just my opinion.

No comments: