Friday, November 7, 2008

Lift Every Voice and Sing!

I wanted so badly to post on election night or day after election day. I really messed up my back somehow and have pretty much been immobile since Wednesday.
I woke up Wednesday morning expecting a pink sky or something. It just didn't seem real to have people in the white house who look like me.
I was reading about this black man who registered to vote for the first time ever. He was 55 years old.
Every time i talked about it with someone, my eyes welled up and i could only shake my head in disbelief. I, like many other blacks, did not believe that white America meant what they said when they said they would vote for Obama. I also did not believe that enough minorities would go out and do what they were supposed to do.
All over campus Wednesday, pro Obama people black and white would smile at each other with that knowing smile. There were Obama t-shirts enmasse. It was the most amazing thing to see, and feel. I say feel because you could actually feel the energy from people. Their excitement and pride was in the air.
There were of course a few dissenters. They felt that christians should vote Republican. There was a burning of Obama signs in one of the campus BBQ pits. There was a noose in a tree on Tuesday morning. This particular university really has its head in the sand concerning racism. It's really quite frustrating. Nonetheless, they cannot change the outcome.
There will be a woman in the White House who gets a relaxer on a regular basis. There will be two small children in the White House for the first time in over 25 years. They will have to change the lighting anytime the First Family is on t.v. Things like oil sheen and Optimum conditioner will be on the grocery list.
It doesn't really seem real. I can't wait for January.

1 comment:

Another Conflict Theorist said...

This was a wonderful post, Sis. But it ain't just your school with it's head in the sand regarding race. Despite the actions of the cowards, though, this is a beautiful time.