Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Community

Psychologists have discovered that people would rather be beaten than live in isolation. I don't know which psychologists, I just know that they say this. On Maslow's hierarchy, it falls right under food and shelter. Depending on the situation, I bet some would take community over food and shelter. Having people, not just any people, but good people, is essential.....vital, even.
I have discovered that while I loved having my friends from a distance, I needed some close ones too. Some friends that I could have coffee with or lunch with or drive down the highway with. The people over the phone were doing a phenomenal job. They truly were/are, but there's nothing like face to face contact and a shoulder to cry on that doesn't have four legs and a tail. No, I needed human contact on a more regular basis. More than a few hello's and goodbye's twice a week. I needed people who wanted to invest in me as much as I wanted to invest in them. Open, no holds barred relationships.
I think I have found it. I think that because success is not only important to me, I blieve that I have found people who genuinely care about what happens to me. Not just say they do, but really do. I'm enjoying having the conversations that make me think about who I am and where I'm going and what I want out of right now, today and life.
My steps today are babysteps. Steps not bound by rules or judgement. Steps that make a difference and will not result in two steps back because I expected too much or tried to do too much or wanted too much too soon.
Even babies know their limits and don't go crawling off of cliffs. At least not alone anyway. They'll try almost anything if Daddy is holding their hand.

No comments: