Saturday, January 5, 2008

Covering

I wish i were a turtle. Turtles have this amazing exterior. So hard that if a tire hits it just right, an automobile tire that is, the shell can actually puncture the tire.
Turtles have the ability to retreat whenever they like. They just stick their little heads back into their shells and remain there for however long is necessary or desired.
Turtles are protected from the environment. They can get away from the rain, wind, mud, snow..... Best of all, when the turtles stick their heads inside their shells, it is the universal symbol of "do not bother me/leave me alone until the appointed time -- and by the way, i appoint that time."
I mean, come on! It doesn't get much cooler than that! I wish i could just pull my head in sometimes and be left alone. Oddly enough, though, it is in those times that my phone rings off the hook or i have to check my email or friends decide to come to town. I am thankful for those times. It's like God knows that deep down, i don't really want to be alone, and let me send you the perfect person for the perfect season just to prove it to you.
My circle is relatively small. Very few people know very many details about me. Yes, people will know things about me, but there are literally a handful who know the things that only one or two others know. I like it like that. I like that i have people in my life who i won't talk to for months and pick up the phone like i left their house yesterday. I like that wives trust me with their husbands and husbands are comfortable enough to be away from their wives with me (not too often mind you, don't want to test faith). I like that i am reliable. I like that my friends call me for advice and are so very willing to hear me out when i cry about my life. I like that for everyday that i want to pull into my shell and hide (and most likely cry), my friends know what it takes to pull me out. I like that i have shared this blog with two people, and that i can continue to be real without feeling judged or criticized.
Yes, I can pull into my shell whenever i want to have a good cry, but i sure am glad that good friends give me a reason to want to stick my head out every once in a while.

2 comments:

Another Conflict Theorist said...

Peace Sis,

Posts like these should confirm for you that you should share this blog with more people.

Another Conflict Theorist said...

They make soup out of turtles you know.