Monday, March 16, 2009

Testimony

I have been attending a small group of sorts with all different types of people. These people have a variety of hurts, habits and hang ups that they want to fix from a spiritual perspective. While attending this group, it occurred to me that i really need more community in the church environment. I need more people my age, more than once a month, and i need the group to extend beyond church grounds....frequently.
So last week, i began to pray for the possibility of changing churches. The only thing is, i knew that the church i went to would be majority white, and i was not sure if i was ready for that. I love the culture of my church, but at the same time knew that if i didn't make a change, i would literally die spiritually. I prayed, and talked to God all last week. "God, should i change? I need more community. Is it ok that i change? Am i running out on my roots? Am i being impatient in waiting for them to grow? I need more community. What should i do?"
I visited this church that made the short list when i first moved into town. Majority white. They have 3 services, and i chose the later service. The theme/focus of the Pastor's sermon was community.
I didn't know what to say. He gave examples of why community is important. Why community can make or break your walk. What community does for each other. This one small group put their money together and bought one of their members a car. Another small group paid off a member's student loan debt so that he could go on a mission trip. Another group had a "Christmas in July" because this poor guy had not really had Christmas growing up.
This was exactly what i was looking for. Something beyond "give me your number, and i'll call you sometime." Purposeful community that is all up in your business besides, "i'll be praying for you." I'm not sure if this church specifically is the one that i will move to, but it certainly solidified what i needed out of a church in general.
This kind of thing is why i am so careful about who i spend my extra time with. People who seem "harmless" may in fact be harmless, but i cannot get the type of conversation that i got this weekend with just anyone, and every once in a while, i need that.
God loves me enough to answer a prayer that i never thought would be answered so quickly.

No comments: