Monday, May 5, 2008

The half birthday

Well, i'm a HUGE fan of half birthdays. In case you didn't know, a half birthday is what your birthday would be 6 months to the day later. So, my half birthday is May 12 since my original birthday is November 12. Duh. You don't really have to be a genius to figure that out. Anyway, This month is my half birthday month and because of my efforts to be more proactive and a little less regretful this year, this is especially interesting to me. I'm evaluating.
What have i done? What do i have yet to do? What is possible? I have to be realistic with somethings (ie; it's too late to get into a PhD program in the fall at the moment), but continue to plan, execute and attack. Well, maybe that's a little dramatic, but you get my drift.
So, far so good. I will be starting an MS in Counseling program this year. I am rekindling some relationships and being more purposeful about the ones i have. I am putting forth a little more effort into my life in general.
I must, however, admit this. I struggle with depression. There, i said it. It's out. I have for years and years now, but felt that as a woman of faith, depression should not be a problem for me. That i could "pray" my way out of any feelings of doubt or sadness or straight up suicide was how i have lived for the past 15 years. Truly, prayer and therapy have kept me together so far, but being in the real world everyday brought on the need to have my emotions a little more under control. I have, however, realized that seeking medical help is ok and sometimes necessary. So for the past couple of months, for the first time in my life, i have been medicated. It has made a world of difference in my life. I have gone from incredibly depressed almost daily to slightly down every once in a while. It feels amazing to feel ok. That was also one of the things that i decided to conquer this year in one way or another.
I am also at a crossroads in my career or the change of my career. I would love to get back to southeast Texas eventually. A change like that is imminent. The only question is, in what capacity and at what time. All i can do is seek and hope that i will find. Life is such a journey, and i would love to collect a lot of cool t-shirts along the way.

No comments: