Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Pride

I am in a bit of a quandary. Mostly, a spiritual quandary. At the moment, i am experiencing some financial difficulty that will affect the small social life that i have. I will do the occasional lunch or dinner out to the tune of about 4 times a month maybe. I strive for meals that total under $10 so as not to wipe out my "fun" budget for the month. For the next 3 or 4 months, my "fun" money will be non-existent. It's short term so i can deal with it, but my regulars may not take a "no thanks" as an answer. Here's the deal.
I am a "member" of a small group of women on the job who eat lunch together once a month. We try to be as real with each other as possible and give sisterly advice on various situations presented to the group. On a few occasions, I have had to decline the lunch with a simple, "Can't make it today ladies. See you next month." This usually suffices if i cannot afford a lunch without having to go into the diatribe of why. Well, with these women, there will be Christmas gift exchange. Christmas falls squarely into my "fun" money budget and simply is not allowed this year. Not only do i not have it to give, but at $3 a gallon for gas, a present could half fill my tank. Here's my question: Is being embarrassed to say you don't have money a pride thing? I am embarrassed, but i know these women, they will offer to help either with the present or my lunch every so often. I am embarrassed that they would offer. I am embarrassed that i don't have the money. It is easier to be broke and alone than to be broke with a social life. The two, however, should never meet.
I was explaining to one of the women that i may not be able to participate in the gift exchange, but to please not tell the other women why. (I had to explain to her why b/c she was thinking it was a scheduling issue.) I wondered exactly how this falls as far as being "prideful". Here is some background.
Pride, of course is the conjugation for proud, which is defined as: having a (too) high opinion of oneself; arrogant. (courtesy of http://www.dictionary.com/)
Now while this certainly does not fit me or my personality, that is only one definition. Here's another: a feeling of self-respect and personal worth. Also not really describing me.
This society places value in economic terms. Not having money, no matter who you are, is an embarrassing thing. But is that embarrassment prideful?....I don't know. And if it is not prideful, when should i accept the help offered by others? My guess is, it depends on the person offering, but my inclination is to say "no", no matter what.
I'll try as best i can to keep a low profile for the next few months. Hopefully, I won't have to explain myself to anyone who could use the information against me......now i think that might be a little on the pride side.....

No comments: