Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Challenging Challenge

I have been faced with a challenge. No. Not something that must be faced by way of conquering. Not really. I have a friend. Since this is continually the the same friend, I will give him the inside joke blue collar name of Bob.
I don't know how he does it, but Bob is probably one of the most nonchalant, chill, laid back people i know. I have to preface this by wondering if someday Bob will have a massive coronary from all of the things that he keeps bottled up inside. But if you ask him. It is not "bottled", but given over to God. I wondered how in the whole wide universe that was possible. Then, i remembered....dudes do that.
That's all there is to it. Women do the best to deal with things and move on, but we internalize by nature. The result will vary from woman to woman. Some handle things better than others. Some are type A control freaks who will in fact have a massive coronary someday. Some are so laid back that they never get anything done. Then of course there are those in between who are much like Bob. They will internalize, but they know what to do with it, and they move on.
A fact of life in the United States is that women out live men who usually die from heart attack usually (barring any physiological problems) brought on (studies also show) from basically bottling up their feelings. Interesting isn't it?
So, here's my challenge. I told him that i would not speak negatively on my life for a week if he would not swear for a week. Done!
The winner gets a favor for each infraction. Done!
So it starts. It's a very interesting challenge because it's usually easy for me to be positive in the short term. It's not even hard to be positive long term.....verbally. Keeping the thoughts out of my head is another thing. That's the true challenge.
Good thing Bob can't read my mind.

No comments: